Tipps und Tutorials
How maintain a bottle?
The bicycle bottle, an essential accessory for any cyclist wishing to escape for more than half an hour by bike. Hydration during practice is important, but it can be disturbed, even dangerous, due to poor maintenance of your container. Here are our tips for keeping a container in perfect condition.
What you should not do :
- The most common mistake is to leave your sugar or isotonic drink in your bottle for several hours or days after your training. This will have two consequences on your bottle:
- Bacteria proliferation: often at the bottom of your bottle, you see black or even colored dirt appearing, leading to a proliferation of bacteria. Although they are mostly harmless to the human body, unlike microbes, it is necessary not to let them proliferate in your bottle.
- The appearance of an unpleasant odor inside the bottle: by leaving your sweetened or isotonic drink in your bottle, the bottle will retain the odor of this one, which will give a particular odor to the next drinks that you will use in it.
- Not washing your bottle regularly: Even if we drink mostly water, it’s imperative to wash your bottle regularly to remove dirt, residue, and other from it.
How to maintain its bottle:
The first thing to do at the end of your bike ride is to remove the bottles from your bike, empty them and return them to your sink.
Then, several solutions are available to you:
- Dishwashing, if your bottle allows it, is the most effective method if your bottle is very dirty. However, due to the high heat of the water and the drying process, dishwashing can damage plastic bottles over time.
- The traditional method of washing up with hot water and elbow grease.
- Baking soda with white vinegar: ecological, cheap and natural. Be careful not to use baking soda for metal bottles!
- The effervescent sterilization tablet for baby equipment and bottles. If you have a young child, you should not have too much trouble finding this.
For some of these solutions, you will have to give a little of yourself to remove the dirt by rubbing the inside walls of the bottle. Reaching the bottom of a bottle can be complicated, so it is necessary to equip yourself with a cleaning brush adapted to the shape of your bottle. Depending on the cap system, some parts are inaccessible, so it must be soaked.
Dry or wait until your bottle is completely dry before storing it. Close your bottle tightly so that no dust gets inside and store it.
Zéfal bottles and maintenance:
Silicone Nipple: The "Pro" and "Soft" bottles models feature a silicone nipple that not only gives you a great mouth feel, but can be easily removed for easy cleaning and access to the cap system.
The No Mud: our new Sense Soft No Mud bottles are equipped with a cap that keeps the nipple free of dirt and keeps your drink clean in all circumstances! Convenient for muddy rides during the fall and winter, you can easily open it while riding.
The PRO-CAP system: its double closing system will prevent you from finding your bottle all sticky after your drink has been spilled during transport or outing.
All Zéfal bottles are dishwasher safe.
Of course, there will come a time when your bottle will have had its day. Worn out by falls, thousands of kilometers or poor maintenance, you will have no choice but to throw it in the garbage... But not just any garbage because all Zéfal bottles are 100% recyclable.